Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembrance Day

First of all, THANK YOU to all of those who serve and have served! 
Second, I couldn't be more proud of my own children or my students today.  A Remembrance Day service, let's face it, is pretty tortuous for kiddies with impulsive and/or hyperactive tendencies.  I was so pleased to see how well they all handled it today!  Our two minutes of silence lasted at least five due to a "technical difficulty" and nobody broke it.  The placing of the wreaths lasted for about a half an hour and named veterans that almost all of my students had never heard of.  They showed patience.  I taught a lot about why we remember this week and I'm glad that they learned the seriousness of it. 
Props to my own son Casey (6 w/ADHD) while I'm at it...part way through the placing of the wreaths he leaned in my direction and mouthed to me, "how much longer?"  I whispered back to him, "do you think the soldiers in the trenches asked how much longer?"  By the look of surprise on his face I knew he understood me loud and clear.  At the end of the service many of the children were sighing with relief that it was FINALLY over.  Casey turned to them and said "at least nobody had to feel the way the soldiers felt."  They kids looked at him with the same I-never-thought-of-it-that-way look that he had given me earlier.  I love when kids get those deep, important messages!

No comments:

Post a Comment